2017–2018 Mentorship Awards in Dermatopathology
Thank you to everyone who submitted an application for our 2017-2018 Mentorship Awards Program. Awards will be announced by December 1, 2016.
The American Society of Dermatopathology (ASDP) is pleased to offer mentorships designed to enable young dermatologists and pathologists to acquire additional skills in dermatopathology that will further their careers by studying with a dermatopathology mentor.
Watch the video below to learn more about the Mentorship Award Program from a mentor and a mentee's perspectives:
- Applicants must be a dermatology or pathology resident and display an interest in dermatopathology.
- Applications should include a specific topic the mentor and mentored have agreed to work on during the mentorship time period.
- Mentorships are designed to take place away from the applicant’s current university. Applications for mentorships within the same institution will not be considered.
- Applicants are limited to one mentorship award per year, regardless of field.
- Mentor must be a member of the ASDP.
- Awardees must attend the ASDP Annual Meeting immediately following their mentorship and present a poster presentation outlining their project (see post mentorship criteria.) Meeting registration fees for Mentorship Awardees will be complimentary.
- Supplies (e.g.: antibodies), tuition reimbursement or educational fees, salary, and travel to the ASDP Annual Meeting will not be considered and should not be included in the budget request. Only travel/airfare to/from mentoring location, lodging and meals up-to a maximum of $1,500 will be considered.
- Mentorship Awards will be disbursed in two payments. One-half of the approved award will be issued at the start of the mentorship, the balance will be paid upon completion of the program, presentation of the poster at the first ASDP Annual Meeting following the mentorship, and submission of written and final expense reports to ASDP.
Two-week mentorship should occur between July 1, 2017, and June 30, 2018.
All completed applications must include:
- Completed application form.
- Budget outlining expenses to be incurred (up to a maximum of $1,500).
- Two-page curriculum vitae.
- One-page statement of purpose.
- One-page project description.
- Letter from proposed mentor indicating their willingness to provide the time necessary for this mentorship, any significant and pertinent details of the planned mentorship, and specific mention of whether the timeframe and budget are appropriate for the proposed mentorship.
- Letter from department chair attesting to the character, leadership qualities, skills of the applicant, and confirmation that the resident is able to take time from his/her residency for the elective.
Please note: Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Mentorship Awardees must meet the following criteria for their mentorship to be considered complete and to receive the second award disbursement:
- Attend the ASDP Annual Meeting and present a poster (meeting registration fee and up to three nights hotel stay will be complimentary).
- Provide a one-page written report summarizing the mentorship experience and benefits.
- Provide a final expense report and receipts detailing mentorship expenses.
Applications will be accepted between June 1 and August 31, 2016
Awards will be announced by December 1, 2016.
How to Get Started:
Applications must be received by August 31, 2016.
- Choose a mentor.
- Draft statement of purpose.
- Get a letter from your department chair.
- Complete the online application, or mail your application packet to ASDP.
Contact Karen Zader at ASDP: +1-847-686-2231.